Monday, April 9, 2007

INTERNATIONAL MOUNTED GAMES EXCHANGE IN AUSTRALIA

Since I started playing games seven years ago, I dreamed of aking the United States Pony Club International Games Team. After years of preparation, I was notified in October, 2004, that I as one of five members chosen for the 2005 International Games Team traveling to Australia.
On March 27, 2005, I met up with the complete 2005 team, onsisting of Brett Calhoun, Drew Sargent, Kassi Nicopolous, Carson Rutledge, and myself, along with our coach, Beth Lough, and chaperone, Linda Caddel, at the LAX airport. Finally, we were on the plane taking us to Sydney, Australia. Fifteen hours later, we piled into two cars and headed “home.” I was caught off guard when we started driving on the opposite side of the road, but after three weeks, I got used to it. We met the Australian team when we got there, and then we had our first
training session. I ended up getting into a handoff collision with Carson that first session, and I was worried I wouldn’t recover in time for the competition. Fortunately, I recovered enough to ride.
After the week of training, touring, white water rafting, and doctor visits, it was time to leave Sydney and fly to Adelaide for the official start of the tour.
At the airport, we were met by the Canadian, Great Britain, and New Zealand teams. Despite never knowing each other, we all seemed to really hit it off from the start. Then we piled on the bus that would be our mobile home over the next two weeks and headed to a potluck dinner. From there we were split up between our host families.

Over a course of six days in Adelaide, we managed to play Polocrosse, camp, have one of two training sessions, visit the Woodyard Activity Centre, Victoria Harbor, and shop! At the activity centre, we did ropes courses, rock climbing, and abseiling. It was a lot of fun, incredibly entertaining, and even tiring. At Victoria Harbor, we got to go kayaking and to the oceanarium. I even
got to pet a shark! Next it was off to Kangaroo Island, where all the teams camped together at an old school. While on the island, we
got to visit a sheep dairy and a sheep shearing demonstration, visit a eucalyptus company, and possibly the highlight of my trip: I got to see and pet kangaroos and koalas! Then, before I knew it, the five days on the island were up and we headed back to the mainland. Our next and final stop was Gawler. While there, we visited a gorgeous farm, Lindsay Park, which is one of the largest, most successful racing and breeding facilities of South Australia.
We also visited a place called Bungaree Station, a large sheep plantation establishes from absolutely nothing. Then, one day, we got to spend a day of shopping in downtown Gawler. Later
that night, all teams were invited to the official opening of the Gawler Horse Festival, where I had a microphone and
platform to thank the mayor of Gawler for inviting the teams.
Finally, we mounted up and paraded around the ring for opening ceremonies. Words can’t describe the way I felt walking around the ring, representing the USA, and all the excitement of the crowd was overwhelming. Before I knew it, we had finished the first race.
After that, everything was a blur. One by one, we finished the races, winning some, losing some, and coming in some
incredibly close seconds. For the majority of the competition, Australia narrow1y led the USA. In the end, our efforts fell short and our best wasn’t quite enough. USA fought hard to the end and finished a very respectable second place to host Australia. Then a
very emotional group of riders hugged and congratulated one anothere. Before I knew it, we were saying goodbye. If I could do it all again, I would in a heart beat. The trip was such a great experience, the chance of a lifetime. I now have friends around the world, best friends from around the US, and memories that will last a lifetime. I was so proud to be a part of Team USA 2005. To all the games players out there, ride hard and dream big! There is
nothing you can’t accomplish if you set your mind to it!

No comments: